Funny Story about my rice – when I was a kid I hated the stuff. There wasn’t enough money in the world for me to eat rice. To my youthful mind it looked like maggots and there was no way in hell I was putting that in my mouth.
I was in my early twenties when I first sampled this fine cuisine and lo and behold I loved it. Ok well I loved it because it had bacon in it and if there’s one thing I DO love it’s bacon.
Eventually after much experimentation I came up with a rice concotion that I enjoy and my family enjoys. In fact my family loves this recipe so much that I can’t keep it as leftovers in my fridge.
Recipe: Bacon and Bell Pepper Rice
Summary: Bacon, peppers and rice.
- 1 pound Bacon
- 4 cups Minute Rice
- 1 Yellow, 1 green & 1 red bell pepper (look in the produce department somewhere near the bagged salad for already chopped veggies)
- Optional – chopped white onion, diced red dragon thai peppers
- Fry bacon in a large skillet or wok
- Place bacon on plate and set aside for later.
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil
- Dump 4 cups of minute rice into water and turn off burner and cover with lid
- Fluff with a fork after 10 minutes. Rice is done in 20 minutes.
- When the bacon is done, pour out half the grease. Return skillet to stove and dump bell peppers, onion and peppers into what’s left of the bacon grease.
- Fry bell peppers until they just start to soften.
- Add cooked minute rice to the bell peppers in the grease.
- Break up bacon into bite size pieces and toss into the rice.
- Mix it all up and eat. Yummy!
Note** for 4 cups of rice I like to use 2 packages of bacon but that’s expensive.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.