Recipe: Ham & Mashed Potato Pancakes
Summary: A simple recipe for utilizing left overs.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1/4 cup potato flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbs butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a skillet on medium low heat until skillet sizzles when you drip a drop of water on it.
- When skillet is hot, turn up the heat to a medium high. Put butter and 1 tbs olive oil in pan and melt.
- add onions to the pan and sautee until they begin to turn a very light brown.
- While onions are sauteeing, combine 1 egg, potatoes, and ham in bowl and stir well.
- add 1/4 cup of flour to the potato mixture, set the rest aside. Stir well.
- Dump 1 cup of flour in a shallow dish or pie pan, add salt and pepper, mix together and set aside.
- Crack 2 eggs into a separate shallow dish or pie pan.
- Add 1/8 cup of water to eggs and beat.
- Scoop up a heaping spoonful of potatoes and roll into a ball.
- Smash to make a patty.
- Roll patty in the shallow dish of flour until patty is well coated.
- Dip flour coated patty in beaten eggs. Coat both sides in egg.
- Roll patty back in the flour one more time.
- Lay the potato patty directly on top of the browing onions.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side.
Prepare egg wash:
To Make Potato Pancakes:
Why my potato pancakes are finished frying I like to sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of them and bake in a 400 degree oven until cheese melts and then top with chopped green onions.
The potato flour in this recipe makes it gluten free. If you are not gluten free substitute regular all purpose flour for the potato flour.
Omit egg wash if you are dairy free and just roll patty in flour. Leave out the butter and sautee onions only in olive oil.
Cooking time (duration): 15
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.