My corn fritters are serious business. They are full of flavor and pack a punch with lots of crunch on the outside and moist, fluffy cornbread on the inside. They’re a little bit spicy with a sweetness that is so faint it almost reminds you of sweet cornbread but not quite…just a hint.
The first time I made them they were eaten right out of the pan. Literally. I’d take one out and place it on the cooling rack and it would get snatched up. I yelled at everyone to leave me a few to take pictures of for my blog but all I got back was a lot of crunching and mumbling. I consider myself lucky that I walked away from the stove having eaten at least one fritter and no one tried to gnaw my fingers off.
These golden brown beauties go wonderfully with tri-tip, chicken or pork chops. You can serve them with chickpeas and a salad or as a snack topped with sour cream. Either way, you’re sure to love the gluten-free little buggers!
Recipe: Jalepeno Cheddar Corn Fritter
Summary: Spicy, crunchy, cheesy, flavorful, jalepeno cheddar corn fritter recipe.
- 2 cups white self-rising corn meal
- 2 minced jalepeno peppers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 beaten egg
- milk to make batter with
- cooking oil or lard
- mix together cornmeal, jalapenos, cheese, green onions and cilantro.
- add beaten egg.
- pour in milk until mixture turns into something that resembles an extra thick batter. Too thick to pour like pancakes but too thin to be considered a dough.
- Let sit in refridgerator for one hour.
- Heat about half an inch of oil in the bottom of a skillet.
- Spoon dollops of batter/slash/dough into skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Cool on cooling rack to keep fritters crunchy.
Cooking time (duration): 10
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.