Will you be cool as a cucumber? Not merely is the cucumber known for it’s ability to cool down our bodies, it has additionally been recognized to assist with jaundice, diarrhea, epilepsy, sore throat, conjunctivitis (redness of the eye) and swelling of extremities.
Frequently you should try to deseed the cucumber as the body can have a hard time digesting the seeds. It is possible to deseed them yourself easily by cutting them in half and using a spoon to take out the seeds or if you want to eliminate this step you can buy cucumbers that are already seeded.
Fresh cucumbers are easy to add to salads and for an easy salad just toss diced cucumbers with sliced red onions, red tomatoes and your favorite all-natural, low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. This is a fast way to make a refreshing salad that reaps some great benefits of cucumber.
Anti-diabetic Benefits of Cucumber:
Beta cells within the pancreas produce the hormone insulin.Cucumber is found to get a hormone required by the beta cells in the insulin production. Moreover, the Glycemic Index of cucumbers is found to be zero.
Why Cucumbers have not a glycemic index listed? Does this imply they don’t raise blood sugar?
Not at all. It only denotes that under the “rules” for the concept of the glycemic index, it is too difficult to get an accurate number. It is because you’ll need to eat a very big amount of the food to get 50 grams of carbohydrate at once in order to be tested. Generally, the lower the amount of carbohydrate in a vegetable and the more fiber it has, the less the rise in blood sugar levels will be.
The carbohydrates are primarily responsible of the raise of the glucose level.However the carbohydrates within the cucumber are easily digestible in a diabetes patient’s stomach.
Tricks for Preparing Cucumbers:
Unwaxed cucumbers do not need to be peeled but need to be washed before cutting. Cucumbers may be sliced, diced or cut into sticks.
A couple Quick Serving Ideas:
– Use half-inch thick cucumber slices as petite serving “dishes” for chopped vegetable salads.
– Mix diced cucumbers with sugar snap peas and mint leaves and toss with rice wine vinaigrette.
– For refreshing cold gazpacho soup that takes five minutes or less to make, simply purée cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions, then add salt and pepper to taste.
– Add diced cucumber to tuna fish or chicken salad recipes.
Recipe: Cool Cucumber Salad
- – 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- – 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- – 1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
- – 1/3 cup minced cilantro Dressing:
- – 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- – 2 tsp. honey
- – 2 tsp. Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- – 1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- – Pinch dried red pepper flakes
- Combine the cucumbers, carrots, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over cucumbers, cover, and refrigerate for an hour. Salad may be eaten using a fork.
Nutritional Values per Serving Size: 1/2 cup
– Calories: 25
– Calories From Fat: 10
– Total Fat: 1 gram
– Saturated fats: .1 grams
– Cholesterol: milligrams
– Sodium: 50 milligrams (without added salt)
– Total Carbohydrate: 5 grams
– Soluble fiber: 1 gram
– Sugars: 3 grams
– Protein: 1 grams
Cooking time (duration): 25
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Suzanne Ault publishes articles for the Diabetes Recipes Blog, her personal hobby website dedicated to cooking suggestions to prevent diabetic issues.
My Complete Bio: http://www.diabeticdietrecipes.org/about
My Photo: http://www.diabeticdietrecipes.org/suzanne.jpg